Lost Autumn

I lost autumn this year. It was just beginning here in St. Louis when I went to Idaho, and just ending when I got there. When I returned to St. Louis, most of the leaves were gone from the trees. It’s rather interesting how disorienting this can be. If you watch Firefly, it reminds me of my favorite episode, Out of Gas, when Mal wakes after passing out from being shot. In his mind, he’s hearing voices from the past; as he gains consciousness and becomes more aware, they’re overlapped and eventually merge with the quiet conversations of the people in the room.

My hosting company will be upgrading us again to PHP 4.4.1, but I’m prepared. When I learned that the other Wordform sites had no problem, I knew the culprit was the aggregator desktop plugin I was using; I’ve since deactivated it.

While originally unnerving, the incident was helpful in the long run. It reminded me that I need to create a port routine from Wordform back to WordPress for the other users. After all, I may suddenly shuffle off this mortal coil, or move to a tropical island without wireless or something someday. I also have to decide if I want to continue with Wordform or consider a way of building all my various modifications into extensions and plugins that can run on WordPress. I like the independence of my own code base, but things happen and I may not always be around to handle sudden upgrades to PHP. Besides, there are some cool kids using WordPress — how can I deprive them of the fruits of my genius?

I also turned 51 last Friday. I was going to write that I don’t feel it, but realized that yes, right at the moment, I do. Which means now that the weather is cool, and the biting, stinging beasties are in hibernation, and the humidity down, I have to get off my doofus. After all if we, you and me, are going to dance and walk and talk all night and toast the Texas sunrise in the proper manner–with margaritas and brass– at SxSW, I have to get prepared. I’m too young to feel old.

But you knew I’d say that.

I am become rather dull lately.

You knew I’d say that, too.

I have to focus on work, and will be posting lightly.

Yup, yup — you saw that coming, too.

I need to get back out on to the trai–stop, don’t even need to complete that sentence.

You know me too well. The blush is off the bloom, the mystery is gone. We’re like an old married couple you and I–just before the affair.

But at least I didn’t write about Goo…uhp! That did it.

This entry was posted in Life, Society, Stuff, Technology. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Lost Autumn

1. Yule Heibel says:

Well, happy birthday anyway, even if the wishes are a few days late. (Funny, I was rooting around in old email yesterday, trying to find your b-day, since I knew it was right around now…)

It’s a strange time of the year this strange year, isn’t it? Hang in there, but face forward.

2. Tim says:

Happy Birthday!

Just caught up with my reading — you are working at Broadband Mechanics?

Somehow I never imagined you and Marc Canter together, especially remembering http://weblog.burningbird.net/archives/2004/02/11/community-member-or-writer , but stranger things have happened. I’m delighted that you found a job that will work for you, and Marc is always interesting, what ever else you might say.

3. dave rogers says:

Happy birthday, Shelley!

4. Jerry says:

Here’s some more biz speak should you fall short…

Need to refocus on our core competencies.

Leaving the company to spend more time with family.

It’s a brilliant business plan, just like printing our own money!

I’ve never had the honor of working with a more dedicated group of people…

Happy 51!

Lessee:

Area 51

Atomic #51 is Sb (antimony)

1 unquinquagintillion = 1,000 followed by 51 groups of three zeros

Any color whose RGB values can be divisible by 51 will not appear dithered on low-end machines

5. John says:

Happy birthday! Rejoice, revel, and celebrate the fact that a wonderous, intelligent, fun spirit like yourself is in this world…I know I am thankful for that. :)
    …and happy thanksgiving!

Thanks for all the very nice birthday greetings. They brightened my day. Those and the kind words and wishes.

And knowing that me and Area 51, hey, we’re sympatico.

7. jayann says:

Here’s a “lost Autumn” photo for you — Winter came early here

winter-y tree

8. Sour Duck says:

Happy Birthday!

(“I am become rather dull lately.”

Er… no. But a nice sentence nevertheless. :))

9. Karl says:

Happy belated birthday :) And happy thanksgiving. Understandable about work. Speaking of which – I think I’m going to use the sample Newsgator code you posted :)

10. Jackal says:

Happy Belated Birthday!

Just use your imagination and visualize your Autumn in all its splendor.

11. zo says:

and on a completely different subject–or maybe not–they have a web 2.0 death pool over on goflockyourself, complete with amusing remarks: “AT&T is now at&t. How web 2.0 of them.”

there. i feel like the kitty who has brought you her dead bird for the day, in appreciation.

Thank you friends, for the photo, for using my code (how’s it going, Karl?), and the warm wishes.

there, I feel like the kitty who has brought you her dead bird for the day…. Oh, that and the ‘at&t’ so cracked me up, zo. Thank you!

13. don says:

Wow — we’re the same age. Happy birthday!

It’s a great age, isn’t it Don?

15. don says:

Actually, yes. Either I have more choices, or I don’t really care that I don’t have so many choices.