Media Mailed

Tonight I sent off the books for those of you who emailed me your addresses. The UPT is in boxes, and the Practical RDF is in bubble envelopes. Zoë helped me pack the books, so you’ll know which ones are from me by whether they glow in the dark or not.

Just kidding — Zoë’s radiation does not rub off on inanimate objects. Not unless she were to pee on your books. I can assure you that if my cat peed on your book, I would not send it. Well, not without drying it, first.

I got a very good deal on envelopes and boxes at our local Office Depot, and the Media mailing rate is incredibly low. All total, mailing the Practical RDF books came to about 3.00 each and the UPT to about 5.00. Since I would rather not have 3.00 and 5.00 charges on Paypal (of which I believe it would take 1.25 anyway), instead I’d like you to consider donating some canned goods or money to your Humane Society. If you would prefer, you can also donate to another charity, or drop it into the tin of a really good street performer. Or you can have a good cup of coffee and a PB & J sandwich, on me.

Then, if in my journey late summer, my odyssey through the States and beyond, I come into your area and you want to buy me a beer, well, you’re on.

Speaking of the little princess, she’s happily home and has spent the last several hours exploring every last bit of the town-home, climbed into boxes, snuggled, ate, snuggled, played, and snuggled some more. She hasn’t slept once. I did a little research and found out that if we hold her close for three hours a day, the amount of radioactive exposure we’ll experience is 3 mrem/year–an increase of 1% over normal radiation doses we experience from the sun and other sources. This is supposedly equivalent to drinking one cup of coffee or one diet soda per day. We have decided to snuggle Zoë the 3 hours and do without one can of soda or a cup of joe a day.

It was a surprise to hear, though, that coffee and soda add to our radiation exposure. I wonder if Starbuck’s is managed by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission? Further research shows that drinking coffee shortens our lives an average of six days. If you think that’s bad, did you know that if you eat 40 tablespoons of peanut butter, one after the other, you’ll die of aflatoxin poisoning?

All in all, I’ll take my chances with Zoë.

This entry was posted in Stuff. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Media Mailed

1. Glad to hear Zoe is home & glowing (with health & love).

2. Sour Duck says:

Wow, thank you… I’m gobsmacked.

Well I like the idea of donating tinned food, and there’s a collection recepticle at my local library, so I’ll opt for that. But I’ll also treat myself to a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. And buy you a coffee… uh, beer if you’re ever in town.

Many thanks, most generous of you. (OK, I’ve ooozed enough thanks now, I think… ;))

Glad your cat is back home safe and sound.

3. Peanut butter is toxic????
    How is that possible???

And how many Reese’s cups does that translate to… (gulp)

4. Hal says:

Glad to hear that Zoë is back in the nest. Just think of the money you will now save on flashlight batteries and night-light bulbs.

I am convinced (cf. ‘whistling in dark’) that grape jelly or strawberry preserves have undocumented powers to render vast amounts (eg. >40 tablespoons) of peanut butter non-toxic. (Though 40 tablespoons of pb + the requisite j + bread = waaay too much food.)

We regularly donate food to one of the Women’s shelters here. I’ll just pile some more on next time.

And Las Vegas is waiting to serve you a beer, come that time…

5. Charles says:

Embrace the radiation, Shelley. There is a body of medical research that indicates that low levels of additional radiation is actually beneficial, it’s called Radiation Hormesis.

6. Hmm. Coffee takes off six days, no coffee means I murder the first person who squints at me, and I lose thirty years or so. Sold.

As always, scritches from me, and take more pictures of the loveliest cat in two timezones.

7. Phil says:

And you won’t get that kind of guarantee from O’Reilly.

my journey late summer, my odyssey through the States and beyond

Hmmm?

8. Sorry to go offtopic, Shelley. Do you know of a page which tacklies the effects of nofollow a year after it’s introduction ?

9. Coffee is good food.

Thanks again Shelley

SD, that’s a good use of the money. Thank you.

I think that chocolate also counter-acts radiation, Hal, so we should be safe Pascale.

So Charles, Zoe pressed up against me all night last night was actually good for me, eh? Well, I agree.

James, coffee is more than good — as Phil R said, it prevents more homicides and failed marriages than most other substances. Except, perhaps, chocolate.

As for Zoe, pics later.

Phil, didn’t you read my post of my planned cross-country trip to Alaska toward the end of summer? I should write on this again.

11. Charles says:

I will leave it to a qualified nuclear medicine expert to determine whether a full night of exposure to Zoe gives only a low dose of radiation. You’re not planning on having any children in the future, are you? ;)

12. Wow, thanks Shelley!

We already donate canned goods to a local food bank, so I think I’ll add some money to a charity I was planning on donating money to. Any thoughts on which of the following (listed in no particular order) you’d be most in favor of?:

1) EFF

2) EPIC

3) Public Knowledge

4) ACLU

5) Creative Commons

And after Hal buys you a beer here in Las Vegas, the next one is on me!

Michael, I’ll pick the ACLU, anytime.

14. The ACLU it is, then. The book arrived today (the envelope was pretty beat up, but the book inside was fine). Thanks again!

My book arrived yesterday. Thanks! I will donate accordingly. And since Dallas is on the way to Anchorage, see you soon!

16. Seth Russell says:

Thanks, Shelley, received mine yesterday and have already used it :) see Unix Power Tools. If you’re in my area around Seattle, I’ll certainly buy you that cold one.