Women can’t do math

You Passed 8th Grade Math

Congratulations, you got 10/10 correct!

Norm via PZ.

This entry was posted in Society. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Women can’t do math

1. Peggy says:

I got 9/10 correct. I think I missed the mode/standard deviation question which is the only one I had to guess. It’s been a long time since 8th grade, but I probably would have missed it then too ;)

2. ralph says:

G.I. Joe says “Math is hard!”

3. David Chen says:

Do you know what the statistics are for women getting degrees in mathematics? I’ve heard that it was actually around 50% for undergraduate degrees. Sadly, it is lower for graduate-level degrees, but one of the things being explored right now is why mathematics is split a lot more evenly than CS…

4. I got the same results that Peggy got. (the 2,2,3,4,5 thing: What is 2) What *was* that? Yes, I guessed, too. Guessed wrong.

I guess.

5. I scored a 9/10. I suppose that –given how I spent almost every moment of my math classes doodling– I should be grateful I managed that much.

My dad tried to teach me algebra when I was four, and I firmly believe that screwed up my relationship with numbers for the rest of my life.

6. Ed Davies says:

Well, I got 10/10 but I had to guess on question 2. To me whole numbers and integers are the same – is a whole number necessarily non-negative (or greater than zero) or something to some people? I’d use “natural numbers” for that concept.

7. Natural numbers are positive integers, as you said. In Calculus 1 they told me that some English people also call them “whole numbers”, to prepare us for that occasion (which was apperently taking this quiz :P). If the “some English people” part seems strange to you, perhaps I should add that I’m Dutch. :)

8. Lis Riba says:

10/10; no guessing; frankly, I wish the test had been timed or offered a speed component…

9. Rob says:

Problem 7 is incorrect. Percent implies a percent of something. For .4 is less than x is less than 1/2, there is no unit attached. We don’t know if .4 is a percent or a fraction that could vary from 0 to 10,000.

Ambiguous at best.

Of course, us chemists are sticklers for units.

(using less-than signs seems to have caused a problem. Oops.)

10. Danny says:

I got “You Are a Glazed Donut”

Danny wins.

12. Stu Savory says:

What an incredibly low standard of education.
    Is that typical of the US? Or are they pulling our legs?

I would expect considerably more of eighth grade.

e.g. Prove Pythagoras’ theorem.
    Or : Prove that there only 5 platonic solids.

13. Lis Riba says:

Keep in mind, Stu, that they did have to come up with questions that could be answered in multiple choice for this quiz.

If you want to see real educational standards, Massachusetts (where I live) requires MCAS assessment tests for certain grades. http://www.doe.mass.edu/mcas/search/ will let you select & view questions from the MCAS in any subject and grade-level you choose.

Here’s a selection of multiple choice questions from 8th grade math assessments.

Also keep in mind these are minimum requirements for grade advancement. Most students would be expected to be above this level.

[I'll confess, I was somewhat surprised to get the perfect score, because in some standardized testing, advanced math knowledge can hurt one's ability to deal with the basics.]

14. Elisa says:

I got 10/10, and math was never my strong suit. And I don’t think I have to call it a guess on “mode” when I knew the other answers were INcorrect. That’s simply called deductive reasoning :)

15. Stu Savory says:

@Lis,
    thanks for the feedback :-) The MASS questions seem to be broader in scope and a little harder :-)
    I’d put the difference between germany and US at about 6 months based on them, rather than the full year I’d guessed based on the original questions.

Personally, I’m not a fan of multiple choice, its only advantage is ease of marking :-(

Stu