Camp

Inside the new St. Louis MetroLink

Curved tunnel

Reflecting at the Station waiting for a train

The Train! The Train!

Saturday I slipped out for a couple of hours in the afternoon to go to the first day of the new Metrolink extension. I went later in the day and missed most of the crowds.The LinkFest associated with the opening was pretty quiet, and aside from having to walk a gauntlet of candidates, there wasn’t much going on.

One of the candidates was a very impressive woman named Barbara Fraser who waved a brochure to get my attention when I started to walk past her. She was strong, confident, and engaging. Updated: I originally listed the wrong name and party affiliation, but she is the right person: Barbara Fraser was the candidate, she is Democrat and will get my vote.

The new MetroLink is surprisingly beautiful and graceful. A strong hint of curves all throughout the line, with a lot of raised platforms and tunnels–most with some simple light-based sculpture. I was only able to snap a few photos from Saturday; I’ll try to get more, later, that really do the line justice. Some photos are posted to the side. They’re not FOO Camp or BarCamp, or WorldCamp, or even all that campy–but I was able to sleep in my own bed last night.

Speaking of *camps, I have my own variation of a Chumby. I’ll post a photo later in the week, in addition to responding to a couple of other posts from Christine at christie.net including Open Data Standardards Redux.

As for the number of women at FOO camp increasing to a whopping 16.97%, all I have to say is: better, yes. Good. Well done. Much better than other conferences I’ve read on this week. (Couldn’t get much worse than the other conferences I read about this week.)

HOWEVER, not good enough. Next year O’Reilly, you can do better. I know you can.

I can see that Jeneane has been out disrespectin’ the fastigium of weblogging again. Along with Jeneane, there were responses in the MacLeod/Godin interview that puzzled me. For instance:

2. QUESTION: As a cartoonist, I find myself quite surprised that very few of the more prominent bloggers out there are in the “Arts”. It seems we have lots of business thinkers, technologists, entrepreneurs, consultants etc, but why do we have so surprisingly few filmmakers, playwrights, novelists, musicians, painters etc at the top of the pyramid? I have a few theories myself as to why this is, but may I ask what may be your take on it?

ANSWER: They’re coming, for sure. Postsecret is one of the three most popular blogs in the world. I think mainstream artists are rarely the first to embrace a new medium (silkscreening, for example, took a long time to get its Andy Warhol), but they’re coming. It’s going to be a new generation of artists that embrace the nature of the medium, and they’re just getting started.

I don’t know that I would classify Postsecret as art, as I believe Hugh MacLeod was referencing the term. To me, the site is more of a visual aid for Catholic Priests. Regardless, Godin’s response was off on so many levels. Leaving aside the term, “mainstream artist”, and stating as fact that silkscreening needed Andy Warhol to become ‘big’ and this is proof that old artists can’t somehow embrace new techniques or media…well, no, these two pretty much have me stopped.

However, at the moment I just can’t work up the energy to do more than twist an eyebrow up, like Mr. Spock. Twitch. Twitch. Twitchtwitchtwitch… Makes me glad Jeneane is there to beat such hyperbole into the ground. We take turns at this, she and I; that’s why we’re known as the Tag Sisters.

(Tag…get it? You know, like weblogging and ta…oh never mind.)

I was also reminded today to remind you all that I no longer have a gmail account (nor a Flickr account), and if you want to reach me by email, use shelleyp@burningbird.net.

This entry was posted in Stuff. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Camp

1. Sour Duck says:

The lightrail system surpasses my hopes: it looks like an elegant ride. I particularly like the “illusion” of riding behind the driver in the first photo. Look forward to seeing the others…

2. Scott Reynen says:

Last night I was watching TV and saw an ad for one of Iowa’s gubenatorial candidates. I’d read about the candidates, but hadn’t seen any pictures, so I was interested to see how the candidates were presenting themselves on TV. The candidate in the ad talked about promoting education, renewable energy and health care for everyone, and I thought to myself “oh good, I think people will vote for him,” assuming he was Chet Culver, the Democratic candidate.

At the end, when he introducted himself as Jim Nussle (conspicuously failing to mention his party affiliation), I wasn’t sure how I felt. On the one hand, it’s kind of nice that these issues being pushed by both major parties. On the other hand, I’d really like to see some accountablity imposed in this election on everyone affiliated with pushing us into a ridiculously expensive war rather than paying for things like education, renewable energy, and health care.

3. James Kew says:

It has something of the feel of the London’s Docklands Light Railway about it. Although the DLR trains are driverless, which always made me feel a little like I was riding a rollercoaster…

4. James Kew says:

I don’t know that I would classify Postsecret as art

Come to that, is it really a blog? At least under the strict ScobleTM definition, it fails: no permanence. Posts stay up a week and then disappear forever.

Oh, and I like PostSecret, but I also really liked this line:

To me, the site is more of a visual aid for Catholic Priests.

Heh. Kept me going through a nasty pile of MIPS disassembly, that did.

I stopped reading PostSecret when I discovered the Secret Formula(tm):

One day, [bad thing] will happen, and I’ll be the reason for it, but nobody will know I did it.

Make an eerie collage, clip the lettering out of magazines and newspapers ransom-note style, and voila! Instant creepy yet oddly compelling PS entry.

Totally made-up future-tense example:

One day, a flowerpot will fall 28 stories and kill a pedestrian on contact. The police won’t bother to dust the terra cotta shards for my fingerprints.

Or, the past-tense version:

They were so sure that my brother stole the bag of lollipops. I sucked on a grape pop and enjoyed the sounds of his butt-whuppin’ from the adjacent bedroom.

There, you’ve just read all of the posts at PostSecret, now and forever.

SD, that’s your truly’s hand, too.

Scott, I wonder if its because members of both parties are ashamed of themselves?

James, it does look like that light rail. No driver, though. Not sure with all the bridges and tunnels and curves with this light rail I’m ready for complete automation. And I’m glad I helped with the MIPS.

Ethan, that’s a perfect summation.