Closing Comments

I’m going to be closing comments on the two weblog posts later tonight. I have a couple of other posts and then I’ve got some stuff to do and won’t be online much for a time. I also think that I should pull myself out of this mix, before I end up hurting those I’m seeking to help. Coming to defense is one thing — fighting all the battles is something else. I’m not at risk, so I can’t truly measure when to go, and when to stop.

So, last call for comments.

This entry was posted in Stuff. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Closing Comments

1. adamsj says:

I appreciate you taking a careful and nuanced view of this event.

2. Not sure why you make such a good target in any fight. Good luck lying low.

Thank you adamsj.

No, not to do with me, Sterling. I just don’t want to continue to push this beyond a level of usefulness. Lying low — going to code, spend time outdoors. Spring break.

4. Yeah, you’ve done enough Shel, time for a well-deserved break. I’ve a feeling there’s muuch more string yet to unravel here. Let’s wait and see.

5. fp says:

Thanks for the objectivity, Shelley.

6. Yes, yeoman’s service.

7. maki says:

Long walks and lots of photo-taking in the fresh air during the day, and BSG marathons at night!

8. baldur says:

I think this has been a nightmare all around. It’s the kind of mixture of justified horror, self-righteous posturing, name-calling, fear-mongering, insensitivity, hyper-sensitivity and chest-beating that the ‘blogosphere’ slams mainstream media for during times of crisis.

Fear is the rule of the day. Fear of being ostracised. Fear of litigation. Fear of violence. Fear of standing out. Fear of being left out of the mob. Fear of being attacked by the mob.

Disappointed, as you put it, is the word.

The end result has been that everybody is frightened, hurt and intimidated.

No soul walks away from this with joy in their heart.

9. Shelley, I found your posts to be invaluable in catching up (I’m out of the country at the moment). You saved me hours and hours of reading. Thanks for your measured and reasoned response.

10. I’m glad to some cooler heads finally prevailing in this whole matter. I was amazed to see how quickly people dogpiled everyone Kathy implicated in her post. By naming names and making insinuations of approval, involving the police and then disappearing from her blog (only to throw more fuel on the fire in comments in other sites), Kathy chose a nuclear option that made straightening things out civilly impossible.

Thanks for trying.

11. Todd Suomela says:

Shelley, I just read through all of three of the threads on this issue and I applaud you for taking the time to make your argument as cogently and forcefully as you did. I’m not sure I agree with all of your points but the dialogue between you and the commenters has been very interesting – threading the thin line between justified anger and rational assessment. You may not have convinced me of all your arguments but the process has been exemplary. Thanks for all the hard work.

12. Christine says:

Your comment at the end of the second post on this topic was exactly how I have felt all day today – it is time for the posse to ride off into the sunset. I took the rest of the *long* list of things I’ve been thinking to my own blog.

Well, unlike so many other points of frenzy that come and go, this one has lasting effect, and not all good. It was tiring, wasn’t it?

But yes, I need my spring break, long walks, and such. I had a couple of posts I wanted to write first, but they don’t want to crawl across the page.