Flawed Safari on Leopard

It would seem that Apple released Leopard with the branch of Webkit that can’t hack certain uses of SVG. Because of this, you won’t be able to see the comments, due to the use of SVG to provide head and footer caps surrounding my comments.

This was a known problem with Webkit, and I filed a bug. I’m disappointed that Apple would release a broken version of Safari. I mean, it’s not as if the company isn’t taking a hit for it’s use of graphics in Leopard, already. At the least, it could put out software that’s working.

In the meantime, I may end up pulling my use of SVG. Or I might ask if you would please use another browser and let Apple/Safari/Webkit know that the browser’s handling of SVG is broken.

update

I found the problem, and an old unassigned bug related to this at WebKit.

What’s happening is that the SVG is expanding to fill the entire containing DIV element within which the SVG is placed (when display is set to ‘block’, not ‘inline’), either wiping out or ‘hiding’ the other contents. I surrounded the SVG in the comments and sidebar within a containing DIV element, and the SVG is no longer ‘overlaying’ (or removing) the rest of the content.

Question is, where is the bug here? Me for not embedding the SVG element in it’s own DIV element? Or WebKit for wiping the other content out on the parent element?

Regardless, the SVG is now working for Safari on Leopard.

This entry was posted in Technology and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Flawed Safari on Leopard

1. Bud Gibson says:

Shelley, writing this on Tiger with Safari 3.03b. I see everything. Must be some Leopard specific issue.

PS I like the new 3 hour limit. Also, I can at least resize this edit comment box.

2. Bud Gibson says:

What’s up? You added resizable comment boxes, at least for Safari 3.03b on Tiger. Great! I recommend that people only access this site using the above configuration.

3. Scott Reynen says:

I see the comments fine in Leopard/Safari, but don’t see any of the text in the right column. Leopard introduced a lot of bugs, many more important than this. Some older input managers make Leopard unable to boot. Firefox on Leopard doesn’t display form selects on some sites. Apparently all Java developers hate Leopard’s Java implementation. And those are just a few I’ve run into myself. It would be nice if there were fewer bugs in general, but I’m not at all surprised something as relatively obscure as SVG isn’t a high priority for Apple right now.

That’s because I removed the SVG from around comments.

I’ve heard of some of the ‘more important’ stuff. It irks me that they took something that worked and screwed it up. Apple is acting like Microsoft.

Bud, glad you liked the longer time.

5. oliver says:

@Shelley: It is interesting that you have chosen to interpret a *bug* as a sign that WebKit is attempting to actively destroy standards (esp. given numerous other people complaining about the absence of “compability” that comes from being highly standards conformant). A bit of searching gave me this bug: http://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=15435 — If you read the comments you’ll see a comment saying that it’s fixed in the (now merged) feature-branch.

Unfortunately there isn’t a test case so no one other than you can confirm that it is (or is not) actually fixed — you can even get a post-feature-branch-merge nightly from http://nightly.webkit.org

Where on earth did you get your interpretation of what I wrote Oliver. I stressed many times, that the support was broken — ie, bug. And that I was irked when this was a known item, from that same bug and comments. I submitted that bug report you linked.

I didn’t once say, once, that this was Safari deliberately trying to ‘destroy standards’.

You know, I don’t expect every damn Leopard user to go to the Webkit branch and download the nightly, just because I’d like to continue using SVG. But that’s what will have to happen. And I’m having to change my web pages, because Apple released a version of Safari that had buggy SVG support.

Even IE at least ignores SVG — it doesn’t make the page unreadable.

PS The WebKit nightly doesn’t even load web pages.

7. Charles says:

Yeah, I ran into a bug in my BlogTV video streams with Safari 3, I had to fix a little code on the web pages. I think the code was broken but still ran OK in Tiger, the new Leopard Safari 3 is a bit stricter and the same code does not work. Fortunately a guy at Apple DTS saved my butt with a quick solution.

8. ralph says:

This would explain why I wasn’t seeing comments in OmniWeb 5.6, which included an updated version of Webkit. Grumble grumble grumble.

9. oliver says:

@Shelley: apologies then — it was your comment regarding Apple acting like MS — which i interpreted as implementing standards in a deliberately broken way :-O

I’ll still bring up that fixing all bugs isn’t possible — look at the size of the webkit or mozilla bug databases — and unfortunately your bug was clearly one of those that slipped through the cracks

Charles, Safari is going to have to prove to me that my code is the bug, and not their SVG implementation. Ralph thanks for the note on OmniWeb, I’ll load down the latest of that so I can see what’s happening. At least until WebKit seems to be working again.

Oliver, no worries. No, not all bugs are fixable, but it becomes increasingly difficult to promote the use of a specification when browsers add, and break, support for such haphazardly.

It’s a catch 22: people don’t want to use the spec because it’s not supported in enough browsers; browser makers won’t support it because enough people “aren’t interested”.