Life Stuff

After the book is done at end of the month, I am cutting computer use back, significantly. I had thought about going offline completely for a few months, but I’m not sure such a drastic cut off is necessary or feasible. There will always be tweaks on the book, the sites, and possibly some tasks for a start up I’ve been doing some work for. I won’t be posting as much, however, and don’t be surprised, or concerned, if you don’t hear from me for weeks on end.

If I can get my shoulder in good enough shape, I want to do a few car trips around in my area. I want to go down to New Orleans, maybe along the Gulf coast. Not as far as Florida but definitely out of the house. I could go north, but frankly, only masochists drive around the Great Lakes area ‘for fun’ in the Winter.

My roommate, knowing I couldn’t put up any of the Christmas decorations because of my shoulder, surprised me yesterday by putting up lights around the deck and around the front window. You can keep your expensive iTouches and Chumblys–doing something you really dislike, as a gift for a friend is about the nicest present you can give another person.

On the cellphone front, I am filing a small claims against Sprint comes January, and looks like the law is on my side. My state, Missouri, is one that won’t allow unnecessary penalties attached to contract terminations. All you can charge a person is the amount you’ve lost, in the case of cellphone companies, the costs of the phones. One of my phones was over 3 years old, the other over 8. The costs has been more than recouped by now. All the people who have taken their cases against Sprint to small claims in Missouri have won, and I expect to win. I even know the bank to send the garnish request to.

I find I don’t miss the phone. I am not a phone person, being relatively quiet in the ‘real world’. I used to call my Mom but we are now exchanging letters. Yes, actual, real life letters. It’s quite pleasant.

The snow and ice have both been missing our area in St. Louis. We’re in the city’s ‘heat shadow’, which tends to block us from most of the adverse weather. If you look at the radar map of the state, you’ll even see there’s a line that goes from Springfield, Missouri to St. Louis. For most storms, the area above the line in St. Louis shows in blues, for frozen precipitation, the area below shows non-frozen precipitation. Knock on wood this continues, because frozen rain is not something I appreciate. Snow, on the other hand, would be pretty. Especially with the lights.

This entry was posted in Stuff and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Life Stuff

1. Bud Gibson says:

Maybe a break is in order to give the various rusty parts a chance to recoup. I’ll miss coming here to see the st louis clock as I comment on posts.

Glad to hear about the Sprint prospects. When I quit them, our contract had already expired, so I had none of this. They were attractive initially because of their digital network, but they just did not keep up.

2. Enjoy your time off, Shelley — and thanks for letting us know so we don’t worry ourselves sick over your silence.

Frankly, I doubt anyone would notice, but I figured what the hell.

4. Bud Gibson says:

Don’t assume that Shelley. You quit blogging once as Burning Bird, and I was shocked, but notice you had multiple blogs, one of which was Mad Techie Woman, so I subscribed. You’re still in my aggregator as Mad Techie Woman, even though you switched back.

So, I would have noticed.

5. My shoulder does not improve, in fact, it’s gotten quite worse. As has my elbows, and hands. If you think this sounds computer related, it is–or at least, the computer use is exacerbating the problems. Especially the shoulder, which has gotten bad enough to impact both sleeping and driving.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but, well… you really need a better chair. I had terrible knots in my back, shoulder, and neck for several years (and despite shelling out for weekly massages to try and alleviate the pain and discomfort) before I bought my Aeron 7 years ago, and the problems have not recurred since despite discontinuing the treatment.

I’m not sure that ‘recouping’ the cost is the right way to look at it accounting wise (unless you have a line item in your bill that lends itself to that interpretation). Instead, I would assume that they can claim the depreciated value of the phone as a loss, and that value has almost certainly depreceiated to zero or close to it.

Frankly, I doubt anyone would notice, but I figured what the hell.

Well, you’ve had lulls before, but I would have emailed you eventually…

6. Marya Doery says:

Frankly, I doubt anyone would notice, but I figured what the hell.

I sure would notice, since I have been enjoying your blog for years. I don’t know whether this would help, but perhaps you could use voice recognition software to write the first draft of your posts. Have you ever tried this? I tried it briefly, and it seems like it could help to avoid a lot of typing, although I always needed to do some error correcting on the final draft.

I have found that spending less time mousing and keyboarding is a real help for some minor symptoms of repetitive stress syndrome that I have developed over the years…. this is perhaps the only advantage of unemployment! So if you do take a break, I suspect it will help a lot.

Finally, I second the recommendation for the Aeron. I used one while taking a course many years ago, spent 10 hours in front of the computer each day, and I have never experienced a chair that was more comfortable than that. However, it’s a very expensive option, especially if you’re not sure if it will help at all. Since I’ve mostly worked FTE, I don’t have much choice about what sort of chair to sit in, though. I’ve had some real clunkers.

Well, then I’m glad I said something after all.

I think a break will be good for more than just my shoulder. I think you get stale after a while — like cake left out without a cover.

8. As to the price, I am now seven years into the twelve-year warranty. In that time, the lumbar support has now been replaced twice, for free (including shipping). There have been no other problems, or even any significant signs of wear.

So, I’d say it’s been a very cost-effective purchase. I have certainly got much more use out of it than I would have from an $800 laptop or desktop computer in the same timeframe.

9. So, more photoblogging? Or perhaps fiction (‘The Mockingbird’s Wish‘ was awesome)?

Michael, thanks for the chair suggestion.

I don’t really have much heart for photography or ‘creative’ writing right now. Maybe after a break.